In 1278 the Abbot of the Cistercian Monastery in Sedlec, of Czech Republic, was sent to the holy lands by the king of that time, Otakar the II. He returned with a small amount of earth he had taken from Golgotha and sprinkled it throughout the Cemetery. Word of this act spread and soon the Cemetery became a highly desirable spot to be buried, and had to be enlarged.
Around 1400 a Gothic Church was built in the center of the Cemetery with a vaulted upper level and a lower chapel to be used as an Ossuary for the mass Graves unearthed during construction.
After 1511 the task of exhuming Skeletons and arranging their bones inside the chapel was given to a half-blind monk of the order. It is estimated that the Ossuary contains the Skeletons of approximately 70,000 individuals.
In 1870 A woodcarver named Frantisek Rint was employed to organize and arrange the Skeletons into the eerie fashion that exists today.